Stephen “Chase” Kunk, J.D.
Stephen “Chase” Kunk is Capital Edge Consulting, Inc.’s Vice President, Contracts and Procurement and CPSR Consulting Practice lead Chase specializes in U.S. Government contract and subcontract negotiations, administration, management and purchasing system compliance. His expertise stems from his legal education, former certification as a National Football League contract advisor to professional athletes, and in-depth experience as a contracts and procurement administration manager for an international contractor serving Department of Defense (DoD), Intelligence Community (IC) and civilian agency customers. He holds a B.A in Communications from Purdue University and a J.D. (cum laude) from Western Michigan University, Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
Chase’s support to Capital Edge Consulting clients is predominantly in the areas of contract and subcontract administration, purchasing system compliance and Contractor Purchasing System Review (CPSR) readiness and risk mitigation. He also leads all contract and subcontract negotiation and administration for Capital Edge Consulting’s internal business operations.
Samples of recent projects led by Chase include:
- Facilitating CPSR readiness for a publicly-traded advanced engineering services provider including purchasing system risk assessment; revision of procurement policies, procedures, practices and forms; training procurement and technical personnel in purchasing compliance; advising procurement management in change management to the purchasing system; and performing comprehensive procurement file remediation in advance of a CPSR.
- Implementation of a purchasing system for a multi-national aerospace manufacturer including development of CPSR-compliant procurement policies, procedures, practices and forms.
- Performing a third-party CPSR of a large DoD professional services contractor for procuring contracting officer reliance in a Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Part 15 source selection.
- Facilitating CPSR readiness for a large construction and A-E firm including purchasing system risk assessment; revision of procurement policies, procedures and forms; advising procurement management in change management to the purchasing system; performing comprehensive procurement file remediation; and providing liaison support with the Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) CPSR Team.
- Conducting contract analysis and providing negotiation support to a large DoD engineering and intelligence services contractor.
- Performing purchasing system risk assessments of a large DOE firm and a DARPA bioscience firm.
Prior to joining Capital Edge Consulting, Chase was responsible for contract proposal support, negotiations, administration and management of U.S. Government prime contracts, subcontracts and commercial/international agreements with a total contract value exceeding $1B. A sample of responsibilities included:
- Drafting/analyzing all contracts and subcontracts, developing negotiation strategies and performing complex contract negotiations.
- Managing all contracts and subcontract administration activities and a team of administrators.
- Providing contractual guidance to internal staff and customers.
- Supporting various internal and external compliance audits and reviews.
- Implementing a CPSR-compliant purchasing system and leading ongoing CPSR readiness activities.
Chase is a member of the Professional Services Council (PSC), The National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA), National Contract Management Association (NCMA), and a recognized speaker who teaches classes through Federal Publication Seminars and the Public Contracting Institute.
Specific areas of government contracting expertise include:
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR
- Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS)
- Other Agency Supplements to the FAR
- Purchasing System Compliance
- Contract and Subcontract Negotiations, Administration and Management
- Price Analysis & Single/Sole Source Justifications
- Contract and Subcontract Risk Analysis
- Defense Contract Audit Agency /DCMA Interface & Audit Management
- CPSR Readiness and Risk Management
- GSA Schedule Contracting
He holds a B.A in Communications from Purdue University and a J.D. (cum laude) from Western Michigan University, Thomas M. Cooley Law School.